Thursday, November 26, 2009

Network Computer - Reborn

I admit - I'm old enough already to remember Oracle's effort to build the Network Computer. Heck, even Sun and Big Blue were into this. And to think that years later I'd walk down Beach Park Blvd. in Foster City with my twins, watching afar on the shining, silvery towers of Oracle HQ in Redwood Shores....

I've been watching closely Google's webcast on Chrome OS. It did take a while, having the expected concerns of "can I live without my disk", or "what about graphic-rich apps", or even "how will I look without my Outlook?", and then again "can I back-office without MS-Office?"...

... and it finally hit me. Yes, it is possible, and it is making a lot of sense. Most of what I do at home and at work is on the web. I'm using Gmail, Outlook Web-Access, intranet, Wiki, Bugzilla, Google Docs, banking websites, everything has become HTTP-aware.

Moreover, my dad, who's become a more avid fan of comupters than myself, yet always looking for the best bargains for his systems, would the perfect user for what I hope will be the 2011 or 2012 incarnation of Chrome OS. A light, yet very versatile and powerful disk-less, installation-less, no-maintenance desktop, that's both cheap and wife-proof. Just power-on and get on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment